In both the hospitality industry and in our homes, cotton towels are the most popular choice when it comes to soft, plush, and luxurious towels. Cotton is a natural and abundant material that can be woven into soft, cushiony strands to create towels that are highly absorbent, easy to care for, and, with abundant designs and colors, will beautify any bathroom.
Here’s what topics we will cover in the post:
- A Brief History of the Cotton Towel
- Advantages of Cotton Towels
- Types of Cotton Used for Towels
- What are the Best Cotton Towels?
- Conclusion: The Versatility of Cotton Towels
Which are your favorite cotton towels and why? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
A Brief History of the Cotton Towel
Cotton towels are believed to have originated in Bursa, Turkey, in the 17th century. The ritual Turkish bath was a big part of the country’s culture. Patrons wanted an easy way to dry off after leaving their bath. A simple, thin-woven cotton cloth, called a “peshtamal,” became a popular post-bath wrap among bathers. The thin, lightweight, but highly absorbent cloth was prized among the wealthier bathers who could afford them.
What started as simple, handwoven cotton towels became, over time, more luxurious and elaborate. The Ottomans excelled in carpet-weaving expertise. From their skilled weaving techniques, the classic Turkish towel evolved. As techniques and cotton supplies increased, the towels became bigger and plusher, as well as more affordable. By the 19th century, cotton towels were in use around the world.
Today, the tradition of the peshtemal lives on, and we’re proud to offer our high-quality peshtemal towels. Crafted from premium natural cotton, our peshtemal cotton towels are not only lightweight but also quick-drying. With its quick-dry capabilities, you can enjoy the waves and sun without the need for bulky beach towels.
Peshtemal is a handwoven fabric made of high-quality natural cotton in a rectangular shape, traditionally used for body covering. Versatile and easy to carry, it’s a must-have accessory for your daily adventures.
The tall, soft loops of Turkish towels give them their soft and highly absorbent feel. The loop technique later became known as terry cloth and is used in many textiles worldwide. The Turkish textile industry today is still a leader in producing some of the world’s most luxurious cotton towels, and Turkish cotton is considered one of the best varieties.
Why Cotton Bath Towels are the Best
For many reasons, the cotton towel is still the best choice on the market today. Cotton’s natural properties make it a perfect choice for towels and other linens.
Cotton is known for its exceptional absorbent qualities, making it the preferred choice for those seeking high-quality towels.
- A natural fiber that is hypoallergenic, so it will not irritate sensitive skin.
- Highly absorbent. Cotton will absorb water readily, making it a great choice for bath and hand towels.
- Soft. Cotton’s very fine fibers make it a naturally soft and fluffy material.
- Inexpensive. Because cotton is easy to grow and readily available, cotton towels of all types are affordable and used in homes around the world.
- Easy care. Cotton can be machine-washed and dried and has no special care instructions.
Types of Cotton
There are different types of cotton, and each has its own characteristics, such as fiber length and strength, that create a different towel experience. Here are some types commonly used for towels:
- Pima cotton: Pima cotton has very long fibers. Long fibers make the material stronger and more durable, less subject to fraying, piling, or tearing. It also means a Pima cotton towel will feel extra soft.
- Egyptian cotton: Very closely related to Pima cotton, this cotton also has very long fibers, making it durable and extra soft. The main difference between Egyptian and Pima cotton is that Egyptian cotton is grown and harvested by hand in the hot, dry climate of the Nile Valley, which makes the cotton fibers extra strong for more durability.
- Turkish cotton: Turkish cotton stands as a top-tier long-fiber cotton variety cultivated solely in the Aegean Region. Similar to Egyptian cotton, its extended fibers result in threads that are not only stronger but also notably smoother compared to standard cotton.
- Upland cotton: This cotton is the one most commonly used for everyday products in the US because of its affordability and abundance. This cotton makes up 90% of world production and is used in everything from diapers to blue jeans.
When considering the types of cotton used for towels, one environmentally conscious option is ‘organic cotton.’ Organic cotton is grown without the use of synthetic pesticides or genetically modified organisms (GMOs). This sustainable choice not only promotes eco-friendliness but also ensures that your towels are made from pure, natural fibers, providing a soft and luxurious feel while contributing to a greener planet.
What are the Best Cotton Towels?
As a leading manufacturer and supplier of cotton towels to the luxury hospitality industry, Sobel Westex knows what defines the best cotton towels. Start with the finest long-fiber cotton, such as Turkish Cotton or ring-spun cotton fibers, then weave it on state-of-the-art looms into thick plush towels that are both functional and beautiful.
In addition to standard cotton bath towels, you may also come across ‘bath sheets’ in the world of cotton towels. Bath sheets are larger and offer more coverage compared to regular bath towels. They are perfect for wrapping yourself in luxurious comfort after a long bath or shower. These oversized towels provide ample space for a cozy and indulgent experience.
Our towels are designed for durability and to keep their good looks and soft plushness for a long time. Explore our selection of high-quality towel sets designed to elevate your bath and shower experience. Here are a couple of our favorites:
Hotel Six Piece Turkish Cotton Towel Set
We love Turkish cotton towels for their ultra-softness and super absorbency. These luxurious towels are 600 GSM Turkish Cotton, making them weighty and plush, to pamper you with the ultimate in after-bath warmth and comfort. They are highly absorbent to dry you off in no time. Our Turkish Towel sets are exquisitely designed for the best hotels with a deep and attractive dobby border, making them a beautiful designer addition to your master or guest bathroom.
The six-piece Turkish Towel Set includes two oversize cotton bath towels, two hand towels, and two washcloths. It comes in a variety of sophisticated, subtle tones, such as Lunar Rock. Other colors include Bright White, Light Blue, Rainy Day, Smoke Blue, Charcoal, Sterling Silver, and Sage.
Sobel Westex Home 12 Piece Towel Set
Another favorite is our popular Sobel Westex Home 12 Piece Towel Set. These towels are made from ringspun cotton, a process that lengthens, strengthens, and softens cotton fibers that are then used to create these high-quality, super soft, durable, and absorbent cotton towels. These towels are easy care and can be machine-washed over and over. This large set means extra towels and washcloths, so you can be sure to have fresh towels available for family and guests. These affordably priced, durable sets are available in a wide selection of pretty, solid colors, like Nebula Blue, to please any taste and fit any bath decor.
Sobel Westex – Your Ultimate Destination for Premium Cotton Towels
Our commitment to quality and safety is evident in every towel we produce. We take pride in the fact that all our towels are Oeko-Tex certified.
A natural material, cotton is one of the most versatile and useful materials for pillows, bedding, clothing, and, of course, towels. Select high quality cotton towels and home goods for the best durability and comfort. Visit sobelathome.com to see our entire collection of hotel linens now available to you at home